Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Making Lemonade at Crescent Falls

       Early this spring, my family and I decided to go for a drive up to the Icefields and along the way we stopped at Crescent Falls. Unfortunately, the weather was less than cooperative: dull grey skies, rain, cold,etc. I still wanted to try to get some photographs, so I made a few adjustments.
      Because the sky was extremely boring, I tried to include some foreground to make the shot more interesting. The detail in the wet, flat rocks helped with that. I also zoomed in a little so there would be less sky but also to emphasize the sweeping lines of the cliff. I did this just enough to include the lone tree on the right horizon. 
     Then, in post, I decided to convert the image to black and white. Sometimes when you have skies that end up looking basically white,converting to b/w makes that deficiency less of an issue. I then played with the contrast/black levels to reduce the detail in the cliff face as I wanted a more silhouette feel and also wanted the shape of the cliff to be more prominent.
     Weather and light can have a major impact on landscape photography and many times it can be less than desirable. By approaching the scene a little differently and trying things in our post processing, we may not come away with the perfect shot but we can sometimes find a keeper. 

1 comment:

  1. Andrew...I love b/w personally!! This is a beautiful shot, And I like how you had more in the foreground!
    T4S
    Debi

    ReplyDelete