Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Shades of '45

        Recently, I have been experimenting with layering different textures over a photograph to create unique looking images that have an artistic feel.
       In this image of an abandoned house, I took a photograph and over laid it with 2 transparent textures. One is  kind of a stained concrete wall and the other is one I made myself. Buried in the debris of this old house was a copy of  "Collier's National Weekly" of August 25, 1945. I used this as another texture.
     Abandoned houses are a favorite subject of mine. You always wonder, who used to live there and what was their life like living in past times. By including the copy of "Collier's" in this picture we may have gained some insight into what the tenants of this old house found interesting.
     I'm looking forward to having this printed. I just can't decide between framed or gallery wrap canvas. Any thoughts?  You can click on the image for a larger view.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so cool! It's amazing what you can do with modern technology. I love old buildings too, they definitely make you wonder about the people and their lives. It looks like this may have been added onto a couple of times, maybe as the family grew.
    Thanks for showing us this one Andrew.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one Andrew...actually I think it's my fave! And the awesome technique you have used with the textures really add some mystery to this old home!
    I think it would look best on canvas rather than framed. To me...it keeps with 'old' look! (so now you know what I would like ~hint hint~)

    Debi

    ReplyDelete